About Comprehensive School Counseling
AAUWJ’s counseling program is designed to prepare ALL students for college and career. This means anything from helping students be aware of what college is (in the lower grades) to helping students plan what college they want to go to, what classes they should take in order to graduate from high school and to help them with their future career plans, to preparing financially for higher education. Throughout the counselor’s day, she can be found assisting the 7th grade College and Career Awareness classes, doing full-class presentations, running small groups on social-emotional awareness, one-on-one counseling with students, individual college & career readiness planning, and crisis management, among other things. The counselor works with all grade levels.
Counseling Mission Statement
This mission of Ascent Academies of Utah counseling program is to provide a comprehensive developmental counseling program that ensure every student achieves an enriched individualized learning environment in the areas of academic, career, and personal/social development through the support of students, family, school and community.
Counseling Belief Statements
- Students learn best when they are engaged in activities that expand their interest and build on their individual talents.
- Each student has his or her own unique profile of gifts and talents that help them succeed.
- Parent involvement in identifying student interests and supporting the school community is vital to a successful learning environment.
- Multiple campuses with similar programs enhance student outreach, special education programs, effectiveness of high-quality teachers, teacher and director professional development, and peer interaction through technology (for both students and staff).
- The school counseling program is an integral part of helping students develop and foster their individualized learning plan.
- The school counseling program helps build a positive school environment by encouraging collaboration among counselors, teachers, administrators, parents and the community to further student achievement.
- The comprehensive school counseling program is continuously refined and improved through systematic review and evaluation of data.
Our School Counseling Program:
- Reaches every student
- Is comprehensive in scope
- Is preventative in design
- Is an integral part of Ascent’s mission to build a strong educational foundation and to provide an enriching, individualized and varied educational experience to all students.
- Selects measurable student competencies based on local need in the academic/learning, life/career, multicultural/global citizen, and personal/social domains.
- Has a delivery system that included school guidance curriculum, individual student planning, responsive services, and system support.
- Is implemented by licensed school counselors
- Is conducted in collaboration with all stakeholders, who in turn receive information on shared success
- Uses data to drive program decision, monitor student progress, and seek improvement each year based on results.
All current information about the comprehensive school counseling program can be found on the counseling blog here: http://blogs.ascentutah.org/therrera/